The Jack Reacher/reach-around joke will never get old. When I die, I hope there's a reach around pun on my tombstone, complete with a silhouette of Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Unfortunately, Tom Cruise and his reaching around wasn't enough to overtake the box office this weekend as the film took in a measly $15.6m in comparison to the incumbent The Hobbit and its $36.7m. Judd Apatow's This is 40 followed in third place with $12m. I haven't seen it yet, but the idea of a Knocked Up sequel sounded kind of boring to me, but that could be because I wasn't a huge fan of Knocked Up.
The rest of the box office numbers are below.
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - $36,705,000
2. Jack Reacher - $15,600,000
3. This is 40 - $12,030,690
4. Rise of the Guardians - $5,900,000
5. Lincoln - $5,633,000
6. The Guilt Trip - $5,390,000
7. Monsters, Inc. - $5,040,000
8. Skyfall - $4,700,000
9. Life of Pi - $3,800,000
10. Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2 - $2,600,000