Excuse me for the late update on this past weekend’s box office, but I was waiting a little bit to see if The Last Voyage of the Demeter would get any updated results. It’s really no surprise that Barbenheimer fever is still going strong, carrying Barbie to its fourth weekend up top and putting Oppenheimer back into second place. These two films have been historic for their box office performance, helping prop up movies around them that aren’t complete trash.
Speaking of trash, the aforementioned Demeter not only scored particularly poorly with critics but only managed to bring in around $6.5 million domestically. In its debut weekend, it only broke into the top five and was outgrossed by Barbenheimer, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, and Meg 2: The Trench. The Meg’s second outing also fell quite a bit, dropping off 57% from last weekend and really only proving the point that US audiences simply aren’t interested in the sequel.
Still, even with some flops this summer, the overall box office for August in 2023 has been stronger than last year during the same period. I guess Greta Gerwig and Christopher Nolan happened upon a once-in-a-generation marketing force that propelled both movies well beyond what anyone could have expected.
Here are the top 10 films for the weekend of August 11-13, 2023. All totals are domestic:
- Barbie – $33.8 million
- Oppenheimer – $18.8 million
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem – $15.2 million
- Meg 2: The Trench – $12.8 million
- The Last Voyage of the Demeter – $6.5 million
- Haunted Mansion – $5.7 million
- Talk to Me – $5.1 million
- Sound of Freedom – $4.8 million
- Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One – $4.6 million
- Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny – $921,130