Six weeks after its initial release, who would’ve guessed Disney’s Frozen would still have drawing power? Beating out last weekend’s big release, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, Frozen still raked in $20 million smackaroos. Which is weird because usually horror films open well their first weekend (and then disappear shortly after). PA:TMO also had a poorer opening than Paranormal Activity 4, but that’s nothing to scoff at as it still made three times its budget.
As for the others, Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle are still hanging in there, Grudge Match finally cracked the top ten, and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is still making money. At the rate it’s going, CF is going to beat out Iron Man 3 as 2013’s top box office grosser. As for next week, I’m sure Frozen has at least one more week as top dawg.
You’ll find the box office performances for the Jan 3-5 weekend after the jump. Happy 2014![via Rentrak]
1. Frozen – $20,722,000
2. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones – $18,200,000
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – $13,400,000
4. The Wolf of Wall Street – $18,500,000
5. American Hustle – $13,200,000
6. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues – $11,100,000
7. Saving Mr. Banks – $9,057,000
8. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – $8,200,000
9. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – $7,400,000
10. Grudge Match – $5,410,00