Last week I had predicted that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire would run out of steam its third week out as Disney’s Frozen would gain ground thanks to all of the positive buzz (stemming from Disney’s biggest opening weekend ever). And I was right! Last weekend, Catching Fire fell to second place, earning $27 million with Frozen earn four more million than that.
As for other releases, Dallas Buyers Club cracked the top ten, Out of the Furnace sits quietly in third, and The Best Man Holiday is still making money. This Friday The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug releases, so I’m guessing that’s going to win the weekend’s top spot.
Hit the jump for the box office performances of the week.[via Rentrak]
1. Frozen – $31,641,000
2. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – $27,000,000
3. Out of the Furnace – $5,300,000
4. Thor: The Dark World – $4,740,000
5. Delivery Man – $3,775,000
6. Homefront – $3,384,000
7. The Book Thief – $2,700,000
8. The Best Man Holiday – $2,673,000
9. Philomena – $2,282,000
10. Dallas Buyers Club – $1,458,000