Even before I looked at the numbers for this week, I had two scenarios in my head, both of which involve a battle for supremacy between two movies that feature extremely loud thunderous noises. In one, a group of loud men and women drive obnoxiously loud cars to drown out the sound of thunder, and in the other a man god thing gets really buff and smashes a bunch of highly modified cars with a hammer.
So, which vision became a reality this week? Did Fast Five keep its wheels spinning from last week, or did Thor stick the handle of a giant hammer in the proverbial wheel spokes that are Fast Five‘s profits?
Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen. Here we go.
1. Thor — $66,000,000
2. Fast Five — $32,518,560
3. Jumping the Broom — $13,700,000
4. Something Borrowed — $13,155,000
5. Rio — $8,200,000
6. Water for Elephants — $5,600,000
7. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family — $3,900,000
8. Prom — $2,425,000
9. Soul Surfer — $2,100,000
10. Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs Evil — $1,880,000