After a big box office the week before, we return to the usual fall numbers. The number one movie over the weekend was Prisoners, which raked in $21.4 million. Insidious Chapter 2 was number two after a very strong opening the week before, and The Family came in at number three.
The real story of the weekend was the IMAX 3D re-release of The Wizard of Oz. Playing at only 318 locations, the movie was number nine at the box office, pulling in $9,503 per location. For perspective, that’s $3,000 more per theater than Prisoners, and it’s also more per theater than Insidious Chapter 2 and The Family combined. Never underestimate the power of inflated ticket prices for superfluous gimmicks.
After the cut, your domestic top 10, and a little tune by Detroit proto-punkers Death to start off your week on the right foot.[via Rentrak]
1. Prisoners – $21,430,000
2. Insidious Chapter 2 – $14,500,000
3. The Family – $7,000,000
4. Instructions Not Included – $5,700,000
5. Battle Of The Year – $5,000,000
6. We’re The Millers – $4,670,000
7. Lee Daniels’ The Butler – $4,304,000
8. Riddick – $3,671,730
9. The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience Warner Bros. – $3,022,000
10. Planes – $2,861,000