Lee Daniels’ The Butler reigned supreme for two weeks as it rode the wave of Oprah and Oscar pandemonium. Thought it was going to rule another week, but I suppose another sort of pandemonium (or FANdemonium) was strong enough to dethrone it.
Morgan Spurlock’s (that one fat guy) One Direction: This is Us took the top spot this weekend, earning over 17 million while Lee Daniels’ The Butler still made a respectable 14 million as it continues to ride word of mouth and pre-Oscar season hype. Other notables include We’re The Millers, which remains in the third spot, and The World’s End dropped more which is sad, but expected.
Oh and f**king Planes is still making money. F**k Planes.
After the jump, you’ll nab the full list of box office performances for the past weekend.[via Rentrak]
1. One Direction: This is Us – $17,000,000
2. Lee Daniels’ The Butler – $14,742,000
3. We’re The Millers – $12,610,000
4. Planes – $7,756,000
5. Instructions Not Included – $7,500,000
6. Elysium – $6,300,000
7. Mortal Instruments – $5,200,000
8. The World’s End – $4,759,494
9. Getaway – $4,505,000
10. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters – $4,425,000