Last week I had forgotten to predict a movie would win the weekend, and good thing I didn’t because I would’ve been completely wrong here. I knew The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug had at least another week, but man did it dominate.
Although Anchorman 2 had a several day head start (and was even in first place Friday), The Hobbit 2 blasted through the weekend earning 73 million (while Anchorman 2 took second place with 26 million and a huge gap between the two). As for the other big releases, American Hustle and Saving Mr. Banks, they sit finely in the middle.
As for next weekend, it’s a complete toss up as a bunch of films are releasing this holiday. I don’t think Hobbit 2 can keep its top spot, but I don’t know what can take it. Hit the jump for the performances over the Dec 18-22.[via Rentrak]
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – $73,675,000
2. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues – $26,776,000
3. Frozen – $19,163,000
4. American Hustle – $19,100,000
5. Saving Mr. Banks – $9,321,000
6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – $8,750,000
7. Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas – $8,510,000
8. Walking With Dinosaurs – $7,300,000
9. Dhoom 3 – $3,305,000
10. Thor: The Dark World – $1,328,000