For the rest of the month of October, we’ve partnered with Arrow Video for exclusive contests on some of their weirdest, scariest, goriest, and schlockiest films. For the next three Tuesdays, get ready to bathe in the warm karo syrup of their new release Blu-ray films.
This week’s feature: Schlock!
Released in 1973, Schlock is John Landis’ (An American Werewolf in London, “Thriller”) directorial debut. Schlocktropus, a prehistoric simian, has risen from the ground, and thirsts for the blood of Southern Californians! Along his murderous rampage (where he conducts interviews and performs recitals on piano, as a prehistoric creature is wont to do) he encounters a blind woman who ignores his barbarism and cheap costume to see the mammal within. Will this prove to be Schlock’s chance to evolve into a modern human, or will he obey the call of the wild?
Find out for yourself! We’re giving away one Blu-ray copy of the Arrow Video release. Special features include:
• 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original lossless mono soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by writer/director John Landis and makeup artist Rick Baker
• New video interview with author and critic Kim Newman
• Birth of a Schlock, a 2017 video interview with John Landis
• Archival video interview with cinematographer Bob Collins
• 1972, 1979 and 1982 US theatrical trailers
• US radio spots
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
A schlocky homage to monster movies? Biting satire of modern American culture? The first film in the storied careers of not only John Landis, but legendary makeup artist Rick Baker? You’re damn right!
To get your hands on this Schlock, use the widget below to drop your name and email, and throw some social interaction at Flixist. The crew here works extra hard to bring you really, really dumb giveaways like this one, so show some love!
We have one copy to dish out to our Flixist readers. Winners will be drawn on Sunday, October 21. Since this involves a physical prize, we can only ship within the United States.
Schlock is now available on Blu-ray from Arrow Video. Head over to Destructoid for more chances to win!