It: Chapter 2 might not have garnered the same critical acclaim as the first film did but its box office didn’t suffer too much because of it. The film brought in a whopping $91 million, the second largest horror opening ever. The highest? The first film, which landed with $123 million. Globally the movie played even stronger, opening as the number one horror film ever in multiple countries and pulling the worldwide total to $185 million.
Sequels almost never out perform the original film so the dip in box office won’t upset WB, whose predictions were right in line with this total. It also gives them a massive September opening, something most studios never even whiff at and delivers them a win after a rough summer of sequels under-performing.
The rest of the box office was just a bunch of holdovers from the dregs of summer. Nothing much to see here. Move along.
1. It: Chapter 2 – $91,000,000
2. Angel Has Fallen – $6,000,000
3. Good Boys – $5,390,000
4. The Lion King – $4,193,000
5. Overcomer – $3,750,000
6. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw – $3,720,000
7. The Peanut Butter Falcon – $2,276,430
8. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark – $2,275,000
9. Ready or Not – $2,229,000
10. Dora and the Lost City of Gold – $2,170,000