When you first saw the trailer for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle did you think, “Hey, there’s a movie that’s going to stay in the number one spot for four straight weekends and most likely beat the global box office for every superhero movie released last year.”? Neither did I, but here we are.
Jumanji has crushed industry expectations and should pull in $375 million domestically, and projections have it reaching $900 million mark globally, putting it ahead of any of the major super hero films. In fact, it’s already become Sony’s highest grossing film outside of Spider-Man movies. It’s got legs longer than Jessica Rabbit, and there is literally nothing to stop it from taking the number one spot until Black Panther releases or everyone in the world has seen it.
Speaking of legs, The Greatest Showman is a bit of a sleeper hit. The film was never number one, but it’s weekend grosses have been remarkably consistent, pulling in solid numbers week over week without seeing the normal drop off other films do.
1. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – $20,040,000
2. 12 Strong – $16,500,000
3. Den of Thieves – $15,320,000
2. The Post – $12,150,000
5. The Greatest Showman – $11,000,000
6. Paddington 2 – $8,240,000
7. The Commuter – $6,685,000
8. Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $6,566,000
9. Insidious: The Last Key – $5,945,000
10. Forever My Girl – $4,703,070