You don’t need me to go on about how fantastic this is going to be, or how I cried with laughter in the theater watching the first LEGO Movie despite being the oldest person there, or that I was so pumped for The LEGO Batman Movie when it came out that I brought it up in an interview. Just watch. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part is the perfect installment to the best franchise, showing the cynics and the proud that good can come from a big-screen version of kids’ toys.
1) Coffee: the bitter liquid that provides the only semblance of pleasure left in these dark times.
2) Glorious Mad Max-esque cinematography.
3) Chris Pratt interacting with Galaxy Defending/Archaeologist/Cowboy/Raptor Trainer/meta Chris Pratt.
4) Mind if I save your life?
5) A blazing cast – including Stephanie Beatriz, people!
It comes in a wave of animated releases (see also: Ralph Breaks The Internet) that make playful jibes at our hyper-connected world and try to go back to a simpler time, or in this case escape from a sordid, dystopian future where the tyrannical reign of DUPLO wreaks havoc. And it’s clear from the overwhelming success of the first couple of movies that the talented team of writers (including directors of the first installment Phil Lord and Christopher Miller) are on to another winner.
Without so much as a glance at the trailer, I’d have watched a LEGO Movie follow-up in a heartbeat. But Warners just keeps surpassing itself and I am genuinely experiencing Emmet-level excitement for this. The LEGO Movie: The Second Part will hit theaters on February 8, 2019.