The drama over Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight has been pretty crazy. After the script leaked online he swore he was going to put the film on the back burner, and then decide to hold a one-time only reading of the film in L.A this past weekend. It’s at that reading that hope rekindled anew that we’d actually get to see the film in theaters, though not the one we were originally intended to see.
At the aforementioned reading Tarantino said that the audience would be hearing a new draft he was working on and that the final chapter, “Black Night, White Hell” would be completely rewritten so no one else would ever see it. Reports on the event are all over the web, but The Film Stage is saying that the filming will land next winter, though no one else notes that. As for the plot of the film, The Playlist has a great breakdown, saying the film focuses not on a single protagonist, but on eight unlikable brutes and that its closest relations in terms of movies are Rio Bravo and Sergio Corbucci’s The Great Silence, which is weird because the movie’s name is a rip off The Magnificent Seven.
Variety also listed off the start studded cast that sat in for the reading, which you can check out below. Note that just because they read here does not mean they’ll be cast in the film.[Image: Amanda Edwards/WireImage]
- Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren
- James Parks as the driver O.B.
- Kurt Russell as bounty hunter John Ruth also known as “The Hangman”
- Amber Tamblyn as his prisoner Daisy Domergue
- Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix
- Denis Menochet as the Frenchman Bob
- Tim Roth as the Englishman Oswaldo Mobray
- Michael Madsen as John Gage
- Bruce Dern as Confederate General Smithers
- Dana Gourrier as Minnie
- Zoe Bell as Six Horse Judy
- James Remar as Jody