The Little Mermaid will go down as one of my favorite movies of the Disney Renaissance, perhaps only bested by Beauty and the Beast. I have been anxiously awaiting news on the upcoming live adaptation. While it was already known that Halle Berry would play the titular role of Ariel, no other members were known. Today during the Disney Investors call the rest of the main cast was announced:
- Daveed Diggs (Hamilton, Blindspotting) will play Sebastian
- Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men, Skyfall) will play King Triton
- Jacob Tremblay (Room, Wonder) will play Flounder
- Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids, Can You Ever Forgive Me?) will play Ursula
- Jonah Hauer-King (Little Women, A Dog’s Way Home) will play Prince Eric
- Awkwafina (The Farewell, Crazy Rich Asians) will play Scuttle
The film which will feature songs from the classic animated film will also have new songs composed by Lin-Manuel Miranda and original movie composer Al Menken.
No indication of when the movie would be out or begin shooting but I’m not expecting The Little Mermaid until 2022 at the earliest.